A CHANGE IN ME

     With the expansion of my studies concerning media, my use of media has been changing. The most explicit change that has occurred reflects on my growing awareness of the false realities that brands promise us. I have stopped buying into the idea that certain products will bring me happiness or change me into my dream self. I have learned  that I can love without a Subaru and I can go as far as I want in life without a Ford. Brands tell us that they are the key to what we need and crave, ultimately telling us the biggest and greatest  lie we have ever heard. I now know that Maybelline cannot trick people into thinking I was born with a flawless face, as they tell women everyday that with their product others won't be able to tell if “She's born with it” or “maybe it's Maybelline”. My happy place is at home with my family, not at a loud amusement park with kids throwing up at the end of every ride. Media awareness has allowed me to see past the faulty hope that brands say they have the power of giving.


Comments

  1. I have noticed the same change in my perception of media. Recently, I have also become more aware of how fake and unrealistic ads are. Whenever I see a commercial, instead of falling for the artificial appeals, I recognize how ridiculous it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am starting to realize that advertisements that I used to really enjoy or "buy into" are less effective on me. Yet I cannot say that I will still see advertisements for things especially food items and restaurants without thinking to myself "I need that," or "That will make me a more satisfied person." I think that although we may be able to realize the true purposes and tactics behinds ads, the ads can still be fairly effective on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also had a change in my relationship with advertisements. Without the information and lessons we have learned these past couple weeks about the advertisement industry, I used to fall so easily for the stupid promises ads make to their consumers. I remember as a wee child watching a fushigi commercial and actually believing that a ball could levitate magically. Unfortunately, it couldn't and my dad wasted $20. Lesson learned, I will not fall for commercials messages, slogans, and false promises anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment