TIDE PODS ARE NOT CHALLENGES

    Challenges over social media have been the biggest rave for a number of years now. Starting in 2014 with the ALS ice bucket challenge, a harmless challenge used to raise money for the ALS association, has made a dangerous turn as the audience craves more “interesting” acts today. With the past year, people of all ages have begun to consume tide pods as a dare. Youtube stars take bites out of these laundry detergent packets, encouraging their viewers to do the same. In 2017 over 10,570 cases of detergent ingestions were reported to Poison Control in America. Tide pods contain chemicals that are not meant for consumption, chemicals that can easily lead to death.
     This challenge horrifies me. I cannot understand why someone would want to eat a pack of dangerous poisons. What scares me most about the life threatening dare is how big it has become. I caught my younger brother opening a pack of them a few months ago, a ten year old boy was about to risk his life for a couple of views on a video he doesn't even know how to upload. Challenges like these disgust me and what disgusts me even more in how the aren't being discouraged as much as they are being encouraged.

Comments

  1. I agree that this 'challenge' has been blown out of proportion. It's so dumb and I don't understand why people would think to actually eat a tide pod. I've see that people 'mistaken' it for candy or that it looks close to it... I genuinely don't see it. Watching Youtubers do this 'challenge' is highly sickening. People with such a high number of followers should not use their platform to display self-harm or pure idiocy. I do think that this trend is beginning to die down and I'm really glad that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this trend furthers our image as the stupid, internet addicted generation. I recently saw some twitter posts regarding our generation in which a user claimed that our generation should not be permitted such influence upon import issues such as gun control because of the stupid trends we partake in such as the "Tide Pod Challenge." I hope that these online trends die-out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with all of your statements. I think that it is crazy that people will do things just for views, or to be talked about. But what they don't realize is that they're putting their life in jeopardy by choosing to eat poison. Another thing that amazes me about this whole situation is that people are doing this because of one stupid person who decided to start this. But, just like the documentaries we've been watching in class say, we follow what we see in the media. We want to be just like those who are so called "popular", so we follow in their footsteps, which ultimately gets us nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, this generation has no common sense whatsoever. For example, the knife game where you sing a song and put the knife in between your fingers.Going faster and faster as the song occurs. It’s completely unreasonable. No common sense in this generation at all and it’s not looking good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collectively, it is difficult to take the opinions of this generation serious on matters such as gun control or politics or even staying out late when this generation is known for the Tide Pod Challenge. However, this stigma can be removed by the acts of individuals who demonstrate that they have the mental faculties to take on life's challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment